Monday, February 22, 2010

The WW Friendly Kitchen

This week's meeting topic was particularly pertinent for me. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. As such, it is important to have a kitchen which supports my weight-loss efforts- not impedes them. Here are my tips for managing my (kitchen) environment:




  1. Label it. I get out my Sharpie when I come home from the store and mark up the POINTS values of items right on the box/can/bag.


  2. Pre-portion/make my own 100-calorie or 2 POINTS snack treats. A ziplock or tupperware style container with pre-portioned grab-and-go snack helps both my POINTS and $$ budget.


  3. Keep the good stuff front and center, and push the challenging foods to the side (hidden behind a big basket of fruit or another filling food...). This way, when I open the pantry or fridge, I am greeted by POINTS friendly filling foods from the get go. What meets the eye first is often the best choice.


  4. Give my food scale "prime real estate" on the kitchen counter. I keep my scale out- front and center. This reminds me to measure the weight of different foods.


  5. Have multiple sets of measuring cups. This way, I can't use the excuse that the measuring cup is in the dishwasher/lost/dirty/etc. when it comes to portion control. The Weight Watchers Easy Measure set is another good option when needing to measure easily.


I challenged members this week to make 10 changes to their kitchen this week. I too am going to do this. Already I'm planning on: getting a few new tupperware containers, organizing my tea cabinet so that it is easier to see my selection and thus easier to choose a cup of tea when I'm wanting something flavorful, getting some freezer bags, checking out those green produce bags that someone in my meeting mentioned (thank you- they are supposed to make fresh produce last longer!), and a few other tricks.

1 comment:

Troy said...

I'm so glad to see you're blogging again. I agree with you on the points you have listed. Why make things hard on yourself? We already know that having sweets in the house can be hazardous. So why then is it so unusual to think that having fruit in sight all the time would be any less tempting, only in a good way? I personally have a problem keeping my cold cereal portions from getting crazy, so I just decided I will eat cereal staight from the measuring cup. I pour exactly 1/2 cup of skim milk and eat just enough cereal to soak it up. Of course, I still eat it at the kitchen table so I don't feel rushed or like I have to eat over the sink. I just think of it as my own special cereal bowl. And I got rid of the huge bubba mug that I used to drag around with me, even to work. I think it held 64 ounces or more of iced tea with sweet & low. I've decided that since I am no longer big and insulated, I no longer need a drinking glass that is. I feel much more proportional drinking from a 16 ounce glass now. Thanks for the info. Keep up the good work.