Sunday, June 28, 2009

I Want a Dog

I've always considered myself a "dog person" (though I do love my cat dearly too), but I've not had a dog since college-- and even that was my dad's dog really (after all, I wasn't the one home caring for her). Several of my friends have great dogs, and I've recently began seriously pursuing this whole dog thing. One of my many items on my "pro" list of dog-parentship is that I think that it would help allow me to be more independent with my exercise. Take today for example. I'm at home by myself. It is a gorgeous Colorado summer day. It is a perfect day for a hike! However, it is too early to call a friend, my fiancee is already off busy for the day, and frankly, I am not interested in hiking by myself. Enter the doggy solution: We could get up early, explore some new trail, and spend quality time (training time?) together!

I hear members talk about the benefits of dog parentship in meetings all the time too. Need an extra bit of motivation is needed to get out there and take a walk? Nothing that an energetic pup can't provide! Need help getting up early in the morning to get that workout in before a busy day? Pretty sure that doggy breath in your face and a short bark or two will be much more effective than any electronic alarm clock!

Note that I do realize that dog-parentship is a HUGE responsibility (which is probably why I don't have one...yet), but I am hopeful that I can find a way to take this on soon. In the meantime, I'm off for a walk around the neighborhood today which will inevitably heighten my dog-lust when I see adorable pups prancing around with proud parents.

No comments: