Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Packed Pretty


Well, my June challenge is off to a good start. I earned myself a star yesterday, and I have my lunch in my cube fridge at work for today too, so I'm set up for success.

One thing that I did when I first started packing my lunch was to acquire a "cool" lunchbox/bag. There are so many fun coolers, bags, and insulated sacks out there from which to choose. There is even the whole international realm to consider-- Bento boxes (Japanese), Tiffin metal carrying cases (Indian), and so much more. I wanted something that I felt good about carrying each day, and of course something that would be practical and flexible for my varied lunches (again, I'm not a sandwich fan, so we aren't talking just a PB+J, an apple and a cookie here). My Tupperware style containers can be somewhat bulky, particularly if I've got a hefty salad stowed away in there.

My perfectly pretty- yet practical- lunch bag was discovered when visiting my mother. My mom carries her food with her too- lunches and snacks, and sometimes even dinner too. She had the coolest bag- it was neoprene (think wet-suit material-- good insulation and very flexible fabric), resembled a purse in shape and size, and the print was what I really loved- a deep chocolate color adorned with festive polka-dots that make me happy. Although I couldn't take it from her right then and there, I did request it as a birthday gift that year. My wish was granted and I've been carrying my pretty packed lunches in it ever since--thanks, mom!

As silly as it sounds, my lunch bag (pictured above) actually does help motivate me to pack my lunch. It is fun to carry- just as having a really great purse might feel (of course, I don't actually have a really great purse- just a great lunch bag- go figure)! I've even have people remark, "I love your purse!" (about my lunch bag). I've really come a long way since the Rainbow Brite plastic box of my youth, huh? Check out http://www.builtny.com/ for their other great designs, or scour local shops for a lunchbox/bag that helps motivate you to pack your lunch.






No comments: