Monday, September 14, 2009

Soup-er Season!

I'm sure that this will be the first of several posts this season about soup- as I'm a big fan of the stuff. Soup may very well be my favorite food- in a general sense, and it has really been an important part of my weight-maintenance too.

Think about it- soups are almost always made with filling foods- veggies, lean proteins and grains are typically the basis of a soup- along with broth and spices (0 POINTs).

Soups are also convenient in the sense that once made, they "age" well. In the fall and winter I typically made at least one soup on the weekend, and then use this as my leftover go-to meal for lunches throughout the week. I'll pre-portion the servings into Tupperware early in the week and then just grab and go with my lunch bag. This week's soup is cutely titled, "One Wild Chick" soup- and is made with wild rice and chick peas. Delicious!

Lastly, as the weather cools, soups are comforting. I love a crisp fall day with a bowl of soup, paired with a piece of crusty bread. Nothing says comfort to me in the fall more than this pairing. Gone are my comfort food days of mac-and-cheese or mashed potatoes. Instead, I opt for a comforting and low POINT bowl of soup and stick to my POINTs target!

This week's meeting topic is all about "red light foods". Anyone have one in mind that fits the definition of comfort food? I'm guessing that there are a few out there.... I'll see you this week to discuss strategies and substitutions!

No comments: