Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Girl's Weekend- A Girl's Request

Last weekend two of my closest friends took me away for a "girls weekend". I'm getting married in July and this was their version of a bachelorette shin-dig, at my request not involving any of the traditional bachelorette activities. They planned a surprise weekend for me. Other than the pick up and end time, I didn't know what the weekend would entail. However, about a week in advance, they sent me a quick email asking if there was anything that I was "against doing"... a loaded question, huh?

As I considered the many things that I'd be against doing (you can imagine where my mind went...), I started to think about what the weekend might include in terms of food. Knowing that typically a girls weekend away involves a good deal of eating (and drinking), and given the opportunity to chime in with my requests, I let them know that, in addition to several other possible activities that I was against doing, I’d rather the weekend not revolve around food. In short, I realized that there would naturally be a food aspect of the weekend (after all, we would need to eat, since the timeframe was over 24 hours...), but I didn't want that to be the 'main attraction' so to speak.

My friends kindly obliged and we saw a show at the Performing Arts Center (Girls Only was the name of the show- very fun and fitting!) We didn't even go out to dinner. Instead, that afternoon we took a trip to Whole Foods (a real treat in of itself!), where I was able to pick out a variety of appetizer/snack food items that we then enjoyed in the room as we were getting ready to go out that evening. I picked a tasty artichoke hummus, a deliciously fresh salsa, and sugar snap peas, baby carrots, and freshly baked wheat tortilla for dipping. We also picked up some tamari roasted almonds from the bulk section- as well as a few pieces of good quality dark chocolate. I enjoyed my snacks-and I loved the show. Best of all? I didn't have to sit through the show with a heavy feeling in my gut and a layer of guilt/regret hanging over my head. I felt satisfied--and free of any weighted emotion that might have otherwise plagued me had I over-indulged. Additionally, I was proud of myself for effectively managing my environment by asking what for what I want. Thankfully I have friends who make this easy. So, thank you to my wonderful friends for supporting me in so many ways and for treating me to such a special weekend.

No comments: