Friday, May 29, 2009

Wanted: Motivation. Found: A Meeting.

This week's meeting topic was on ways to reignite motivation. I shared in the meetings this week a bit about what initially motivated me to join Weight Watchers, and the natural fluctuations that our motivation has throughout our lives. I want to reflect more on this topic, as it the issue of taking control of one's own motivation encompasses success in so many ways on the program.

Although it is indeed natural for our motivation to ebb and flow, we need to reign it in when we sense it slipping to that casual/lackadaisical place. The earlier we can "catch" our motivation as it slips, the easier it becomes to bring it back. Not to say that even if our motivation has gone totally MIA that we can't bring it back then (we can), but the earlier we address it the easier it becomes.

As a lifetime member for 7+ years now, I too have experienced the various gradations of motivation. I've been at that uber-motivated stage, and yes, I've even been at the totally casual stage too- but only for brief periods of time. The reason that I've only had brief periods of time that I've let my motivation lag, is because I attend meetings (as a member). For me, each meeting that I attend- regardless of what has happened the week prior- is my time to amp up my motivation. For 30 minutes I am focused on myself, my program, and the action that I'll continue to take going forward. I'll challenge myself to focus in new ways, and consider what I need to do to stay engaged. As I sit in the meeting, I'll oftentimes find myself visualizing the rewarding results of being at my goal weight. Seeing and feeling the positive results of my hard work is that motivating strategy that we discussed at meetings this week.

Sure, the meeting topics change and I enjoy some more than others, but as I'm listening and participating in specific week's topic, I'm boosting my personal motivation to continue to work the program. The simple act of walking into the door of a Weight Watchers meeting is empowering to me. I know that I'm taking care of myself, and doing something that is positive and valuable, even if I've had a tough week on the program. Sometimes I consider my weigh-in and meeting as a "fresh start" of sorts, when that approach is likely helpful, other times I use the meeting itself as my reward for a great week.

Consider this: Attending meetings is probably one of the most basic and valuable behaviors that you can make your habit in order to engage your motivation as you loose weight and as you maintain your loss. I'm not just making this up either- research shows us that people who set out to loose weight with a group (meetings) are three times more likely to be successful than those who go at it alone. That said, I'll see you next week to talk about ways to save costs while cutting calories!

No comments: