Monday, May 4, 2009

Cash from my Closet

This weekend I tackled the task of transitioning my closet from my winter wool sweaters and corduroy pants to my summer wardrobe. In doing so, I also attempted to purge any items that weren't worn all season, and considered my clothing from a practical (space) perspective. Let's be clear from the get go: I am not a fashionista. However, I do enjoy a few new items each season, and my closet space is somewhat limited. Hence the purge each season is necessary.

My biggest clothing purge was back in 2002, when I reached my goal weight, but I can remember it like it was yesterday. Along with actually seeing my goal weight on the scale, getting ride of my larger clothes was a moment that I'll hardly forget. As a graduate student at the time, living on a tinsy tiny monthly stipend, I realized that I needed to come up with a way of purchasing new clothing that actually fit my new body, without spending a fortune. I was 22 at the time- so fashion was certainly a factor too!

Enter the consignment store. I hadn't ever stepped foot into a consignment store, however someone at one of my Weight Watchers meetings had suggested this option as a practical way of getting rid of old clothing and making a few bucks. I piled 3 overstuffed garbage bags full of clothes into my car, and off I went! I was thinking that I'd be happy to leave with $20- maybe $40- and I also figured I'd have to wait for my items to sell before collecting my take. How wrong I was... As I unloaded my items with the store's owner, she started naming off dollar figures, "Ten dollars for this sweater, six for the blouse here, a jacket? That will be twenty." I thought she was naming how much they would sell for-- but actually, that was how much money I would be making! I masked my excitement, scared that somehow she'd think that she could have gotten away with giving me much less (truth be told: she was right)! At the end of the day I walked away with just over $300- in cash! For a poor graduate student this was literally half of what I made each month, so needless to say I was elated. I felt liberated, and all that much lighter too- having not only shed the pounds, but also the heavy clothing.

I stayed true to my intention, and took all $300 and went shopping for new items! I got pants, tops, skirts and dresses- all in my new goal size, and all without having to spend any money besides what I had just made selling off my older, larger clothing. It was the shopping trip of my lifetime.

For anyone wondering what to do with the old clothing that no longer fits, consider consignment. A few years ago I discovered that this particular shop has since closed (perhaps they were paying out too much to stay afloat?!?), but find one in your area and inquire about their process. You may need to make an appointment, and you may need to try a few places before finding one that is a fit with the style of your clothing.

Other options to rid yourself of too-big clothing include: donation (keep your eyes open for drop off sites- and/or at thrift stores themselves), a "swap" with a group of friends, yard sales, e-bay, and Craig's List. Consider clothing disposal from a "green" perspective too-any of these options are also going to be a great fit with the reduce-REUSE-recycle mantra.

Whichever route you take to discard of your too-big items, consider the message that you send to yourself when you rid yourself of these items. On the flip side, what message might you be implying if you keep them around?

I'm off to the thrift store drop off on my way to work this morning, and my closet has just a bit more space now to squeeze in that summer sweater I was eyeing at the mall this weekend...

No comments: