Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Vegas Venture

I'm not a Las Vegas fanatic (and that's an understatement...). Since the City-of-Sin seems to lend itself to excess and over-indulgence, it can be a tough vacation spot for a Weight Watcher. This upcoming weekend will be my second trip to Vegas this spring. A member in one of my meetings shared a great tip with me that I was able to use earlier, and that I plan to use again this weekend: Walk. No need to run- but walk. Do not take the escalators. Do not take the people-movers. Do not even take the little gondolas at the Venetian. Instead, walk everywhere! During Vegas Venture #1 this worked really well for me. On our first day in town, I had announced my plan to my group. Initially they scoffed at the idea that I was going to take the stairs all weekend (particularly considering my choice of shoes....style had certainly trumped comfort...). However, having publicly announced my plan, I simply had to stick to it- and I did. Having weighed-in a few days before Vegas and a few days after returning, I was proud to have maintained during my trip to the City-of-Sin. I attributed much of my success to my walking, and I intend to walk my way to success during this upcoming Vegas venture as well.


Regardless of where your vacations may take you, making a commitment to walking while vacationing can be a helpful habit to adopt. Of course, pairing walking with other helpful habits is what cinches success. I'm not sure that my miles would have mattered much, had I neglected the other elements of the Weight Watchers plan. In addition to the obvious benefit of earning Activity POINTS through walking, my walking also made me much more mindful of my commitment to the entire Weight Watchers plan throughout the weekend. In turn, I better managed the buffets and other food-related temptations that present themselves in Vegas.

If you have a long weekend, enjoy it. If you have the opportunity to walk this weekend, enjoy that too!

No comments: